Command: To direct with authority; give orders to. Deserve and receive as due
Demand: To claim as just or due
Respect: High or special regard
Its sounds cute to say, “everyone deserves respect”. I hope when people say that, they AREN’T saying that I have to give every person I meet high or special regard. I mean really?!?! I think everyone deserves civility and consideration but not everyone deserves respect by definition. Which brings me to my point. There are two way in which you can garnish respect. The first is to demand respect while the other is to command it. I’m blessed to have great leaders around me that set an example of commanding respect.
You want to be a person that commands respect do the following:
- Love those under you and care for your subordinates like those you’re subordinate to.
- Walks the walk and don’t just talk the talk. Lead from the front and don’t be afraid to get your nails dirty
- Truly celebrate when others succeed, even when they are succeeding at something you are pursing.
- Focus on where you’re going. That’s the only reason people follow you… because you’re actually going somewhere.
OR you can be a person that demands respect by neglecting the above items and do all the following:
- Insist people ALWAYS refer to you by your title.
- Obsess over superficial things. Spend you energy looking like a leader. Right cloths, body language, words ect.
- When something is getting done make sure you’re right there. Don’t worry about being a part of the productivity, but make sure you’re right in the middle of it.
- Push your subordinates around and suck up to your superiors. In other words, memorize and be an active part of the pecking order
- In general make sure you don’t spend a lot of time on your content and character but focus you attention on your image.
If you command respect, you will positively effect countless lives having the comradery of both your superiors and subordinates and when you reach your goals you will have tons of people that will celebrate with you. If you live your life demanding respect you might reach some goals but it will be lonely when you get there and those that DO rejoice with you will do it only in an obligatory manner and thus your successes will be shallow. in his book Into the Wild C. McCandless said, “Happiness is Only Real When Shared”. When you’re a true leader you will not only be able to joy in others success’ but you will always have people around you that will truly joy in yours.